Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Going Back


In one week I'll be going back to work at Coe and Cam will go to daycare. I'm ready. Not that I haven't enjoyed the time getting to know him and easing him into this world...I'm ready for a steady routine and a daily dose of adult interactions. I do not have the support structure necessary to keep going as a stay-at-home parent.

Aside from holding Cam, walking around with Cam, coaxing Cam to sleep, changing diapers, feeding, burping, washing bottles and clothes daily and basically just gazing with wonder at the new little person that is Cam, here is a list of other things I've accomplished in the last eight weeks.

1. I've watched every episode of "Arrested Development" on HULU. I started this in the first few weeks, and in my hormone-induced semi-depression, the narrator's voice became a dear comfort to me. I grew very fond of the Bluthe family, and when I finished watching the last episode of the three seasons, I was sad. The comic relief was most welcome in the midst of my uncontrollable episodes of tears.

2. Photo albums: I printed (through various online offers and Walgreens) over 400 photos taken in the past three years. I like photo albums. Willa and I like to take down an album and sit on the couch or share a chair and look at pictures and relive the moments. I haven't quite figured out how to translate that to the digital world. I hadn't put together a photo album since Willa was three, so I had close to three years worth of photos to print, organize and insert into albums. I ended up with four albums, plus one started for Cam's baby-hood. I'm caught up until about three weeks ago. There are always more!

3. Updated Facebook: I've had a Facebook account for a long time, mainly just so I could explain what it was to other people. in the past three months I've had 24 invitations from people I've known recently and as long ago as grade school, so it was time to get connected. I still have mixed feelings about it.

4. Read: I just finished "In The Name of Salome" by Julia Alverez. I've also read: "Operating Instructions" by Anne Lamott, "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, and countless magazines and articles. I'm now reading "The Gutenberg Elegies" by Sven Birkert.

No comments: