Saturday, April 20, 2013

Kitchen Reno Day 1

Deconstruction Day.

The day I've been anticipating and dreading. Today all upper cabinets came out. Good-bye to the double ovens, the cook top and convection oven and the thing most likely to be a trash compactor (complete with trash from former owners). So long to the bright yellow and blue Mexican tiles. 

Before demolition this morning I baked a loaf of banana bread and browned some sausage for crock pot pizza soup; my final farewell to the stove top and oven. 

With the help of JP and Larisa, we knocked out our work in about 4 and a half hours. Not bad, considering it included three trips to Habitat for Humanity Restore in good ol' Rusty but Trusty. 

For the next six weeks (or so) we will rely on a grill, an old displaced microwave, our crock pot and rice cooker. I think we'll head out to look for a hot plate tonight. I can't figure out how we can do with out our daily morning oat meal!

Crock Pot Pizza Soup
2 cans of pizza sauce
3-4 cups of chicken broth
chopped onion & green pepper 
mushrooms (sometimes I saute in EVOO before, sometimes I just throw them in)
Italian sausage, browned

Put everything in to a crock pot. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6-7 hours. To serve, put a handful of croutons in the bottom of a soup bowl, ladle in some soup, top with mozzeralla/parmesan cheese mix. Pizza in a bowl!
 

No comments: