Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lake vs Pool

There is almost no comparison between swimming in a lake and swimming in a pool. Unfortunately, because the Pigman is the first weekend in June, and it's in Iowa, it's almost impossible to train in a lake.

I've done most of my training in the Coe College Natatorium. Today I had intentions of heading out to the lake for one more good swim. However, it's cold, overcast and raining. So, I packed up my wetsuit and goggles and headed to the comfortable confines of the INSIDE pool.

I've only worn a wetsuit once prior to this season. I borrowed this wetsuit from someone in the Coe College Triathlon Club. Today I was pleasantly surprised at how much bouncy it added to my swim experience. At the lake earlier this week, I think I was so concentrated on overcoming the cold, I just didn't think much about what the wetsuit was doing for me. The wetsuit keeps me floating on top of the water, even when perfectly still.

I swam for a good thirty minutes. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I alternate between a crawl and a breast stroke. The breast stroke is much harder with the wet suit, so perhaps I'll try the crawl a bit more on Sunday.

Tomorrow I plan to ride bike and on Saturday I'll eat lots of pasta.

No comments: