Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Swim

After my dismal performance in the lake yesterday, I felt the need to go back to Pleasant Creek and actually TRY to swim. Memorial Day was sunny and hot, perhaps at least mentally I'd find the courage to dive into the water.

I went out around 1:30PM and ran a few miles. I worked up a good sweat, and was actually hot in the wet suit. There were about 30-40 people in and around the beach area; playing sand volleyball, sunbathing, and a few kids were in the water playing. I thought to myself "if these kids can play in here without complaint, I can certainly swim for a few minutes." I ran in and swam for about ten minutes. It was cold, but bearable.

Three SCUBA divers were just rinsing out their gear at the outdoor shower area as I walked up to rinse my wet suit. They said the surface temp on the lake was 63 degrees. Hopefully we'll have a some sunny days between now and Sunday to warm up the water a bit more.

At the least, I have a bit of confidence built up after this swim. I know I can get in and flail about for 600 meters.

1 comment:

Kerrie Miller said...

Wow, that's a lot of roadkil! You mentioned Pigman, and I was interested in knowing more about that, like why do they call it Pigman anyway? Will Jamey take pics for you?