Sunday, May 17, 2009

Riding WITH my Girl

Last week was "Bike to Work" week. Willa and I had been talking about trying a bike commute with the tag-along to Summit, and Bike to Work week seemed like the week to do it. Unfortunately Bike to Work week turned out to be a pretty bad week, weather-wise. The only sunny day was Thursday. On Wednesday night we got the tag-along hitch transferred from Jamey's bike to mine, and Willa and I prepared for our adventure the next day. When we woke up on Thursday morning, we did have sunshine, but we also had very strong gusting winds, and it was only 46 degrees! So, we chickened out. Instead we loaded up the tag-along and locked it into the bike rack at Summit. Then after work, I dropped off the 4runner at home, hopped on my bike and headed to school. We made it home in one piece! This was our first time together on the bike this season.

Today, we went out for a ride and decided to time ourselves on the ride to Summit. We didn't take the most direct route, but this route avoided some of the heavier-trafficked streets. It took us 17 minutes. That's not that much longer than it would take us to drive. Of course, I'll still have the ride to Coe from Summit, but that shouldn't take long at all.

While this isn't putting a lot of miles in my RAGBRAI training log, it's certainly building up my leg muscles! Willa doesn't have the best balance, and she is easily distracted from peddling (today's distraction "Mommy, did you know these pedals pedal backwards and forwards?" - my response "Only pedal forward!!!"), so I'm counting these commutes as mini-workouts!

No comments: