Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Questions

On a recent morning bike commute, Willa asked all of the following questions:
  • What if birds had to follow the stop signs?
  • Why aren't there road signs for airplanes?
  • How do those airplanes actually stay in the sky?
  • How do the birds stay away from the airplanes?
  • Who invented the first bike?
  • How do they make these bikes, anyway?
  • Why doesn't everybody ride their bikes to camp in the mornings?
  • Are we at the top of the hill, yet? (we have a rule: I don't answer questions on an uphill climb)
  • Why do you and daddy do RAGBRAI?
Of course, there were probably more that I simply do not remember, but that last one sticks in my head. Why do we do RAGBAI? I gave her an answer then that satisfied her need to know, but the question stays with me. The first time, we did RAGBRAI it was because we lived in Iowa and we biked. It seemed logical that we should join, and being non-natives in this state, it seemed like a good way to get better acquainted.

Now, going into our third RAGBRAI (plus two other rides: SAGBRAW and TRAM), I can think of no better way to spend this week each summer. We leave in two days, and I am just starting to prepare for the preparations (I'm washing clothes at least...). Here are a few 'why-i-do-it's' that float to the surface today:
  • Because the details of living for a week on a bike ride are so completely different than the details of our daily existance here, it's possible to leave Willa and Cam for a week with no guilt or regrets (it's also ONLY possible because I have parents willing and able to spend a week caring for them). Each year, I realize how lucky I am to get a week with Jamey free from parenting...free from work, email, voicemail, mowing the lawn, putting out the garbage, washing dishes, etc. etc. etc.
  • There is no rush, no agenda, no plan other than to get on my bike and go. We get there when we get there. If we want to stop we stop. No obligation other than to keep the pedals moving.
  • I love being part of the slow-moving mob of people with a common love of bicycling, yet thousands of differences sharing one road. I've had great conversations with people from all over the US, and sang TV theme songs for an hour one year with a bunch of Brits. I don't remember names or know where these people went after they passed me or stopped in the next town, but that's not the point.
  • Each of the towns we pass through has something interesting to offer, and I'm learning a lot about the history and heritage of our state with each new route. Riding a bike between these towns affords a glimpse of the state I never get when we drive through. I stop at the rural churches and at the historical markers. Cows, trees, fields, farms and windmills get noticed with much deeper detail.
  • Farm Boys Burritos, Pastafarian, Lemonade Guys ("the special") and this year I might even try Mr. Porkchop if he's ever on the route later than 9am. And pie. I'll continue my search for the perfect cinnamon roll.
Lastly, the sense of accomplishment I feel when I dip my tire into the Mighty Mississippi next week will be incredible - just thinking about it is making me smile already.

Better start the real prepartions!

No comments: